Some of the example automation scripts incorporate the use of the Contacts application. If you are not familiar with the Contacts application or have never really spent the time to set it up correctly (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), then this page is for you. Two topics are covered:
- Setting Up the Default Card (My Card)
- Importing Contacts from a Spreadsheet
Setting Up the Default Card (My Card)
DO THIS ►In the Contacts application, create a default card containing your data. Include (at a minimum) First Name, Last Name, eMail address, Mailing Address, and Phone Number. Make the card the default card by choosing Make This My Card from the Card menu.
Importing Contacts from a Spreadsheet
If you keep contact information in a spreadsheet, there’s an easy way to transfer that information into the Contacts application. The short version is that you export the spreadsheet to a standard CSV file (Comma-Separated-Values) and then import that file into Contacts. Here’s the details:
1) If you’re importing a tab-delimited or CSV file, make sure it’s formatted correctly using a text editor such as TextEdit.
- Remove any line breaks within a contact’s information.
- Make sure that fields in a tab-delimited file are separated by a tab, instead of by another character. Don’t include spaces before or after tabs.
- Make sure that fields in a CSV file are separated by a comma, instead of by another character. Don’t include spaces before or after commas.
- Make sure all addresses have the same number of fields. Add empty fields as needed.
2) In Contacts, choose File > Import, select the file, change the encoding if necessary, then click Open and the import dialog will appear. (⬇ see below )
3) If you’re importing a text file, review the field labels.
- If the first card contains headers, make sure the headers are correctly labeled or marked “Do not import.” Any changes you make to this card are made to all cards in the file. To not import the headers card, select “Ignore first card.”
- To change a label, click the arrows next to the label and choose a new label. If you don’t want to import a field, choose “Do not import.” (⬇ see below )
4) Click the Import button and the new contacts will be created.
DO THIS ►If you want to try it out with a test file, DOWNLOAD this CSV file.